Todd Boehly to eventually be removed as Chelsea chairman as club ‘aims for new direction’

by: Entrust


Todd Boehly has become a lightning rod for criticism at Chelsea and the American billionaire will be forced to vacate his role as chairman at the end of the 2026-27 season.

odd Boehly will reportedly be ousted as Chelsea chairman by his fellow owners at the first opportunity after widespread criticism of the American.

Boehly has become the face of the Chelsea ownership group since they took over the club from Roman Abramovich in May 2022. The 50-year-old has attended lots of games at Stamford Bridge and taken a more hands-on role than many of his fellow investors.

That is in spite of the fact that Boehly has a smaller stake in the Blues, with private equity firm Clearlake Capital holding 61.5 per cent while Boehly owns an equal split of the remaining 38.5 per cent alongside Hansjorg Wyss and Mark Walter. Clearlake is run by Behdad Eghbali and Jose Feliciano and it is they who therefore possess the most significant amount of power behind the scenes.

While suggestions of friction between Boehly and Eghbali or Feliciano have been dismissed, Clearlake is keen for a change of direction. No decision on who will take Boehly’s role has been made yet, but it could be distributed internally, or someone hired to fill it. Under the terms of the agreement, Boehly could then take the chairmanship back in 2032, should he retain his stake.

The decision comes nearly two years into Boehly’s spell in charge, which has not gone to plan after the ownership consortium put in £2.5billion to take control of the club. Boehly has overseen a £1bn spend in the transfer market, but Mauricio Pochettino’s side are only 11th in the Premier League and were beaten by an injury-hit Liverpool in the Carabao Cup final last month.

Leave a comment




Background Image

Color Skin